Friday, September 12, 2014

Grades Just Don't Matter All That Much!

An old high school friend forwarded a YouTube video to me a little while ago. The title of the YouTube video was "Ten Minutes of Wisdom." Well, I'm right in the middle of a bunch of little detail stuff, plus composing another article to post, so I didn't think I'd take the time to watch the video right then. But . . .  I was curious and so I clicked on the link.

It was a presentation by a speaker at a college in Abilene, Texas. Frankly, I'm very glad I stopped and took the time to watch it. And, I'm giving you the link to watch it, too. The Link

This was an opening address to students at Abilene Christian University. Now, if you're not a religiously oriented person, don't let that stop you from listening to what this guy has to say, because he really hits a home run in my book. I think this should be required viewing at the beginning and end of every school year from the beginning of high school through college, graduate school and any other formal education or training.

One of his points about the formal learning process is that "grades" just don't matter all that much. The speaker had earned two degrees from this university and as he put it, he never got a B and graduated in the top of his classes. But, the only person in his entire life that cared about his  GPA was his mother. No one else cared.

I've often said the same thing about my two degrees, a bachelor degree and a master degree. In both cases, no one - and I mean NO ONE - has ever asked about my degrees, cared what fields they were in or what my GPA was.  No one cared that I was inducted into the honor fraternity for my undergraduate major. Did the education matter? Yes! It mattered to me because it helped prepare me for the future life I would lead.

But, did you notice I said that it "helped prepare me for the future" life I would lead. It didn't fully prepare me (or even close to prepare me) for what I would face in my life. The speaker made that point, too. Another point he made was when we graduate the best of our life is ahead of us. But, the worst of our life is also ahead of us. Believe me, this guy really imparted some vitally important life lessons during the ten minutes.

I relate to everything he said. I don't honestly remember one lecture from my 5+ years of higher education (let alone any from high school). I don't recall any of the papers I wrote - save one that I turned in to complete my masters degree - because it was actually a business plan that I prepared for a group of venture capitalists I was hoping to have back my business idea at age 24. What I do remember are specific teachers, professors and classmates who impacted and inspired me and I carry that with me to this day.

I also remember two important points that an English prof. imparted in about 1 minute in the very first class of my first semester of my freshman year in college. I've never forgotten those two points and they became the cornerstone of what I wanted my son to learn to carry him through his life. Here are those two points --

1. Learn to Think Critically

2. Learn to Burn the Candle at Both Ends (I interpreted that to mean learn to be a Survivor - do whatever it takes to survive)

That's what I wanted my son to enter his adult world with. I wanted him to be able to think critically and to be able to survive. He did and I feel I accomplished my objective in making him a productive, capable, competent member of society. He is, without question in my mind, my single greatest accomplishment.

Grades, smades - deal with them whether in school or career, but don't allow them to control your life. Learn to think critically, be a survivor and live and enjoy life to the fullest. When you reach the end of your journey, like everyone will, all your grades, all your awards, all your money, houses, cars, etc. won't really count for much of anything.


People will remember you for how you lived your life as a parent, sibling, friend and, possibly, as a colleague. What you'll remember are your memories. Listen to what this guy says as he sat at the bedside of numerous dying people. I hope it inspires you to live your life joyfully, not work your life toilfully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment