Thursday, August 14, 2014

Do You Have A Round TUIT?

Do you have a "Round TUIT?"

I do! I was sorting through another box of "Stuff" the other day, in my ongoing quest to downsize and
minimize (yep - I'm still at the process that seems never ending). In the box, I found a brass, stamped, flat, coin shaped object with the capital letters "TUIT" debossed in one side. The other side of the coin shaped object is irrelevant.
  
So, it's shape is round and it says "TUIT" on the object - why, that makes it a "Round TUIT." So, what the heck is a "Round TUIT," anyway? I can't spend it. It's not heavy enough to be a paperweight (and I don't have much paper anyway). I haven't seen a lot of these, so my guess is that most people never get a round tuit.

Aha! Do you get it? I finally got a round tuit - or maybe you'll get it if say I finally got around to it. Cute, huh? So, what's the purpose behind a "Round TUIT?" It's simply a tactile and visual aid to remind the bearer of such an object that it's time to get around to it.

At first I was going to toss it in a plastic Ziploc bag that I had already placed currency and coins from New Zealand, the Bahamas, China and a few other countries. I was going to store this bag (now taking up much less space) with other items in my "Chest of Life." However, on second thought, I reached in and removed the Round TUIT and decided I needed to have it in my pocket as a constant reminder to myself and an object lesson for others I meet along my travels. So, it's now in my pocket.

Getting A Round TUIT or Getting Around To It!

Getting around to it, whatever "it" is, seems to be a big challenge for most people. This is directly related to procrastination. I'm actually creating a group for chronic procrastinators called Procrastinators Unanimous. Yes! I said unanimous, because it seems that just about everyone I know is a procrastinator, including yours truly. I'll get around to it, starting the group that is, tomorrow.
Seriously, I'm sure you are planning to get around to it on many things in your own life. Take a few moments (and it shouldn't take longer than that) to make a quick mental list of all the things you plan to get around to. I'll bet if you took a half hour, your list would be longer than you ever imagined it might be.

Didn't Have Time OR Didn't Make Time?

You may have never pondered this concept. I never had until I was about 33 years old. A young man, 32 years old, a business associate, who was becoming very successful taught me this lesson. We were meeting at a hotel in Pennsylvania with a group of other business associates and Tom, my friend, had asked me to do something before I came to the meeting.

We all met up at the hotel and Tom came over and asked me if I had taken care of what he had asked me to do. I responded by saying, "No, I didn't have time to take care of the matter." Tom was disappointed because I said I would take care of his request and I failed to comply. He responded by saying, "You didn't have time OR you didn't make time to comply with the request?" Obviously, I didn't make time. That was an important lesson to me and I've not forgotten it in the 36 years that have passed.

I was fortunate. Tom taught me that simple, yet, profound concept before he died only a few months later in a plane crash. I learned other extremely useful things from Tom before he left this planet far to prematurely. Another very profound thing I learned was from his tragic death. Never count on or put off the things you REALLY want to do until the future because your future may end later today or tomorrow.

When Will You Get A Round To It (a Round TUIT)?

So, when do you plan to get around to your "its?" What are your "its?" Are they downsizing, economizing, minimizing, cleaning up toxic relationships, finding your true "occupational" calling and changing from the drudge job, moving to a location more in tune with your inner physical, emotional, psychological, spiritual and financial needs, hitting the road and traveling the world or the country or any number of other things that will define your choice of "living free? Are you going to join my new Procrastinators Unanimous group when I finally get around to forming it or are you going to make the time and get around to it, now?


I'm going to search out a source of "Round TUIT" coins and have a bunch made up for me so I can make them available to people like you and others who would like to have this tactile, visible reminder that it is time to get a Round TUIT. Stay tuned and I'll let you know when I have them available. 

5 comments:

  1. My wife has a "round tuit" (trivet) but she will never give it to me, so I will never get "a round tuit". (:>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, hang in there, John. As soon as I can find a good source of Round Tuits you'll get a round tuit of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon says, "I've had at least half a dozen round tuits over the years, and gave all but one away. Having too many leads to too many things to do! (:>)"

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have 2 TUIT in my house. if you interest please feel free to contact me by email officialadyt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 1 tuit a unique code. Are you interested, contact me via email
    M_alaqbawi@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete